Minutes March 2020

Withington Group Parish Council
Meeting Held on Thursday 16th January 2020

Present: Paul Bainbridge (PB), Alison Bainbridge (AB), Martin Kirk (MK), Kevin Hewison (KH), Bob Wood (BW), Tom Nellist (TN), John Baker (JB); Barclay Rogers (BR), Ralph Barber (RB), Judith Howe (JH), Julie Williams (JW), Sue Rudd (SR); Simon Dent (SD),

Also: Sophie Glover (Clerk), 4 members of the public.
The Meeting opened at 7.30pm

10 minute period is set aside for any members of the public who wish to raise any issues with the Parish Council.
A member of the public asked for Hereford Council to be asked to spend our Council Tax on fixing the main road through the village. She also suggested that the public transport or lack of it was a huge problem and resulted in parishoners being fully reliant on their cars. The idea of Community transport was also suggested, and the question was raised as to how parishoners were meant to access the new medical hub by the station. The standard of the village shop and the lack of its provisions was also mentioned.
Finally comments were made against the planning application for the Green in Withington, indicating that it was in a conservation area/listed building and should be kept under close scrutiny as the planning department makes its decision (The Chair informed the parishioner that she was able to add her comments to those already submitted to the planning officers by WGPC)
There was a general agreement from the cllrs that the condition of Withies Road is appalling and the construction vehicles and drainage work from Bell homes have and continue to damage the road surface.
The Chair outlined the current planning situation in Withington, the overprovision of new house and with even more coming in the next months.
RW agreed to look into community transport and to report back.

1. To accept Apologies for absence – Jonathan Beech (JB), Sarah Winwood (SW), Paul Andrews (Ward Cllr) Absent without apologies: Ed Simcock (ES)

2. To receive Declaration of Interests. RB noted that he had an interest in the Herefordshire and Gloucestershire Canal Trust, and as such would not be a signatory on that cheque, should the Council agree to its payment at item 13b.

3 Reports from:-
3.1 Ward Councillor – apologies had been received. However, he had sent in a brief report, see below.

Wishing all the parish a happy new year and I am sorry I cannot make tonight’s meeting. I have a few things to say which are firstly I have chased up today BBLP on TRO’s which are in the pipeline one of which is already has a planned meeting on the 30th regarding Lumber Lane. There are others on going to which I am waiting for an updated list as I write this email this will be forward on to Sophie when received from BBLP.
I have asked the PROW officer to update me on ownership of the damaged bridge at Eau Withington as soon as possible.
I have asked for another ward trip with the BBLP locality steward with regards to the flooding issues at Preston Wynne among other issues. I will again email Sophie on the findings.
Please contact me on other issues I have not addressed in my report. I am keeping an eye on the planning applications but please make your views known to the case officer.

3.2 Local police – Nothing received.

3.3 Balfour Beatty – Updates come out weekly and cllrs can comment on them. A brief discussion was held about less cutting of the verges to allow for biodiversity. The council had been asked to let BB know if there were dangerous verges that did need to be cut. The idea of cutting the first meter and then leave the rest was suggested. It was resolved to ask for the main roads to maintain the cuts, and the junctions to be kept clear. Chair suggested that cllrs could write in individually as there were varying views.

4. Acceptance of minutes of the:- PC meeting (Nov 2019)

Proposed: KH Seconded: SR

They were duly accepted as a true record of the meeting.

5. Action points from previous meetings
On agenda or addressed apart from: Preston Wynnes flooding issues. SD informed the meeting that Preston Wynne has flooded again. For some people this involves a very long detour to get out of the village. BR asked for funds to be supplied by the PC to jet the drains. SD had supplied photos for the clerk to forward to the ward cllr and BB to try and get some thing resolved here.
Action: Clerk to ask the lengthsman to look at the problem and see if he can jet the drains rather than waiting for BB to get around to doing the job.

6. Update on S106 developments
Cllrs had been sent the suggestions for the development road traffic calming in Withington. It was suggested that improvements by the school could be done this February half term.
There is also a crossing on the main road to Whitestone Business Park, this is just an island in the middle, not one with lights.
There is a proposed footpath going up the C1130 as the WGPC asked for. Also for Southbank to be made one way, the cllrs wanted to ensure that this would be priority going down the hill.
It was resolved to ask the council to proceed with all developments as soon as possible.
Action: Chair to respond to BB to go ahead with these road calming initiatives.

7. Withington Fields
Update from the Clerk. There was little to tell the meeting, just that the lengthsman is looking to replace the bin by the shelter in the field with an old refurbished solid metal bin. He is also waiting for the appropriate weather to replace the matting under the Maypole equipment as we have been advised to do in the last two inspections.

8. Changing rooms and car park at the village hall.
The Chair told the meeting that the survey had been done before Christmas, and we are awaiting plans from our architect.

9. Lengthsman Scheme – identification of jobs for the lengthsman.
To look at Preston Wynnes flooding problems. To replace the matting at the Maypole on Withington Field.

10. Foot paths officers reports
Roz Simcock had sent in a number of jobs in Preston Wynne which have been passed to the lengthsman.
Westhide cllrs were asked to look at the new application for definitive map modification that affects Westhide footpaths, they were asked to pass their comments in to the planning department.

11. Training or information events attended: The great collaboration
Cllrs were invited to attend these meetings.

12. To note contents of the information sheet, and take any comments from that.
Noted, and no comments made.

13. Matters Financial.


a. Balances Yorkshire – Reserve acct £ closed
Public Sector Deposit Fund    £ 9,306.77
HSBC Parish Acct (15.10.19)  £32,698.02
HSBC Withington Field Acct £ 3,760.42                           Total: £45,765.21
b. Cheques to be paid
Parish Acct:-
Clerks Salary                                                 £ 947.51
Clerks Expenses                                           £ 36.20
PAYE                                                              £ 79.45
Terry Griffiths, Nov Roads acct inv 941 £ 436.80
ICO Data Protection                                   £ 40.00
Herefordshire & Gloucestershire Canal  £ 25.00           Total Payments £1,903.36
Terry Griffiths, Dec Roads acct inv 963 £ 338.40 Moved not to pay this one until work is further investigated

Withington Field Acct:-
Shelly O’Sullivan                                        £ 80.00
Herefordshire Council – bins                   £ 149.50
RJ and JR Barrell – hedge cutting         £ 108.00
T Griffiths Field acct Oct inv 940           £ 36.00
T Griffiths Field acct Nov Inv 942          £ 36.00
T Griffiths Field acct Dec Inv 961           £ 36.00
T Griffiths Field acct Dec Inv 962          £ 231.60             Total payments £ 677.10

Total cheques: £2,580.46

It was moved that all cheques should be paid apart from inv 963 at this time.

Proposed: KH Seconded: TN all were in favour

Internal transfer:    £2,000 moved from savings acct to Parish Acct as agreed in November minutes.
Cheques paid between meetings as agreed at Novembers WGPC meeting:
For Survey on W/f: Laser Surveys: £708 and AED Donate for the Defibrillator: £1,999

c. Receipts: Payment from H’fd Council for Survey on Withington Field £590
HMRC VAT refund of £ 852.01
Interest from savings acct £6.38

d. Application for Financial Aid, None
Training was offered for use of the defibrillator. Clerk to arrange and get dates in the Newsletter by Feb 7th. Clerk also to thank the unnamed benefactor in the newsletter input.

14. Planning including updates on :

193311 – The Green, Withington – WGPC had submitted additional comments. Nothing further.
192164 – Variation of S106 agreement for land adjacent to Whitestone Chapel – nothing further from the county on this one. WGPC objected to the suggestion.
190403 – Land at former pumping station – Awaiting the assigning the S106 agreement. Draft heads of terms are available on the planning web site. JB asked if S106 monies could be directed towards the preservation of the War Memorial. Chair to ask if this is possible.
192532 – Replacement bungalow, The Cranes – awaiting amended plans.
Cross Keys – development either side of the pub. This has been delayed due to the Lugg River Phosphates issue.
193914 – Windy Corner, 1 Willowfields. – amended plans. The neighbours have not objected so it was moved to let it run.

Action: Chair to ask if S106 monies can be put towards the vehicular damage to the Withington War Memorial.

15. Receive items for the next agenda (no discussion)
Approval of the updated Finance Regs. Feasibility of community transport. Consideration of Clerks salary to be outsourced.

The meeting closed at 8.42pm

Signed: _________________________ Date: _________________

Dates for 2019/20 meetings:

19th March 7.30 pm start
Annual Meeting 21st May 7pm start
New date 9th July 7.30 pm start
17th September 7.30 pm start
19th November 7.30 pm start