November Minutes

Withington Group Parish Council
Meeting Held on Thursday 19th November 2020 on Zoom
M I N U T E S

Present on Zoom: In the Chair: Ralph Barber (RB), Martin Kirk (MK), Kevin Hewison (KH), Bob Wood (BW), Tom Nellist (TN), John Baker (JBa); Jonathan Beech (JB), Keith Merrick (KM); Ginette Chadd (GC);
Judith Howe (JH), Julie Williams (JW), Ed Simcock (ES), Sue Rudd (SR); Simon Dent (SD).
Joining by telephone: Barclay Rogers (BR), Alison Bainbridge (AB),

Also: Sophie Glover (Clerk), Paul Andrews (Ward Cllr); Ingrid Heatly (Tree Warden officer); CPSO Geordie Boswell and 3 members of public, the two guest speakers along with 2 advisors from Sonas Development.

The Meeting opened at 7.30pm
There will be 10 minutes allowed from 7.30pm for members of the public to raise any issues that they would like the Parish Council to consider.

One parishioner was present to hear about traffic issues on the A4103, a further parishioner wished to hear the PC’s comments on the drainage works at Withington Field.

1. To accept Apologies for absence – None.
2. To receive Declaration of Interests.
None received
3i Presentation by Simon Hobbs (SH), Herefordshire Council, Senior Accident Engineer.
Mr Hobbs gave a brief presentation – looking at traffic solutions for Herefordshire. One item that he mentioned was ‘village gates’ to change the roadside environment to effect how people drivers, hopefully reducing their speed. He said that gates alone did not work, but as part of a number of changes it can really work. He suggested that the PC could develop a plan to implement works that could be done by Balfour Beatty when they were resurfacing for example.

Changes to line markings are fairly easy to undertake, and there are examples around the parish of where this has been successful. Moving the outer lines in towards the centre of the lane, the 30mph on the lane is across both lanes, this ‘undefines’ the drivers road space, and it has been found to slow them down. He suggested that the Cllrs might visit Bosbury in North Hereford to see what they have achieved by changing their road markings and verge maintenance throughout their village. SH had some slides to show these road works – which he agreed to send on to the PC after the meeting.

He suggested that the PC watch for when the PCC offers grants for doing works on the roads. If the Parish has a plan, they would be ready to apply for monies that could well be match funded by HC in the future.

KH asked about accident data, which SH had passed to the ward cllr, he had sent it out to the clerk on 11th November. Clerk sent it our to all cllrs during the meeting, with her apologies.

KH asked also for specific info on the crash site after Radway Bridge. Crash barriers had been suggested there, but SH explained why this might not work at this site, they are designed to prevent vehicles going through them by projecting them back into the road. In this case, that might throw the vehicle back into the path of other vehicles.

BW checked that this road was the responsibility of Herefordshire Council for maintenance. He was surprised that the Parish Council was being expected to fund these possible road improvements.

The chair clarified that we could approach SH after the meeting to look further into this. He was happy to be available.

A parishioner who lives on the A4103, said that she had had another near miss this week with a car hitting a flimsy barrier outside their property. She wanted speed cameras to be considered at this point on the road.

Action: the chair suggested getting a working group together to look at road problems, this will be compiled once the presentation slides have been received from SH.

ii. Presentation by Martin King, Sonas Ltd.
Mr King introduced himself, showing that he was from a local family who had lived in the area most of his life.
He described the ethos of Sonas Ltd. There were a number of slides which will be circulated with the minutes of this meeting.
The Chair asked if there were future plans to be submitted? MK explained that there was still one outstanding that is awaiting a decision. The Chair asked if he would answer the questions that the Parish Council had submitted back in February
Bernard Eacock, MK’s planning advisor went through the questions giving answers to them all, he will submit written answers for the PC’s information.
JBa asked what the Bio Pod was being used for – would there be bio hazard on site? No, they don’t hold any viruses on site.

Both Simon Hobbs and Martin King left the meeting after their presentations.

4. Acceptance of minutes of the:- PC meeting (Sept 2020)
KM asked if PW church was an open or closed Church – the chair moved his answer to the discussion about precepts.
Julie had sent in a report of ‘no report.’ She also wanted minuted that she was waiting to meet with Rob Hambledon ref listing footpaths.

Proposed: BW Seconded: KH All were in favour

They were duly accepted as a true record of the meetings.

Ii. Action Points. from previous meetings completed or on agenda apart from:
Road surface on Veldo Lane – MK said that there was nothing to add to this at this point.;
S106; being discussed later.

5. Planning including

202987 – Elmhurst, Withington Proposed erection of single story outbuilding.
AB there should have been more information on the plans.

The PC has no real concerns, but there is not enough information on the application to make a full decision, the PC asks what this outbuilding is for?

Action: Clerk to submit comment.

6. Open discussion/public forum including comments from the public and

6.1 Report from Ward Councillor – Cllr Paul Andrews. S106: all cllrs are currently waiting for the model that will let every one know what is happening with S106 monies across the county.
MK asked what was holding up the disclosure of this information? PA explained that the lead S106 officer needed more help and she was in the process of getting it.
Signs at Radway Bridge Garden Centre: MK suggested that it was not the Parish Council’s business to go and ‘negotiate’ with the Garden Centre.
Action: Clerk to contact with the enforcement team, to ask them to follow up their suggestions that the business should move the sign within 14 days. Also to enquire why this has not been enforced.

6.2 Local police – PCSO Georggie Boswell had been on the zoom call to introduce herself and her team to the Parish Council. She left the meeting at 20.40

6.3 Balfour Beatty – Reports come out weekly and cllrs can comment on them.

7. Withington Fields –.
Update from the Clerk: The drains have been cleared out to one side of the containers, the other side has been fitted with a drainage pipe.
Action: Clerk to arrange a meeting with R Donaldson, MK and clerk at the field.

8. Changing rooms and car park at the village hall.
KH told the meeting that we have had an email from the architect, Jim Hicks, about the current stop on all planning with waste that disposes into the Lugg. The architect is arguing that whether or not the users of the changing rooms use the loos/showers at their homes or at the village hall it will all go in the same sewage system.
Car Parks: KH currently has 4 quotes, the highest being £82,000 the lowest is £42,000. KH suggests that we go with the firm who did the car park at Radway – GM Joyce. He proposed that we recruit them to do the work, seconded by BW all were in favour.

9. Lengthsman Scheme – identification of jobs for the lengthsman.
To finish the fence on Withington Field.

10. Foot paths officers reports
PW: No report.
WH: Julie is waiting to see if we support the update of the definitive map.
W’ton: MK New stile has been fitted on W34. An e mail has been sent to Mrs Watson about the bull being in the field – clerk has asked for this sign to be removed when the bull is not in the field. MK asked for the laminated maps to be sent to him.

Footpath through the coppice. Working group, KH, MK, AB and RB

11. Tree Warden report – Ingrid Heatly reported that there was a plan to get people to plant trees. She thanked the previous tree warden – Cathy Gumbolton for her help. She had been contacted by the eldest daughter of Martin Worsley who would like to plant a tree in her fathers memory around the village hall.
She met with Teresa Gavin who wanted to set up a telephone tree for people who were feeling lonely, it was recommended that she contact the Withington News.
Action: Clerk to pass on KH’s e mail to her for clarification of this.

12. Feedback on training or information events attended: Parish Council Summit; Halc training
GC had been on a couple of training courses, which she found very useful.

13. Projects: i) Smartwater: GC, BW and JB had met on this and the proposal was not to move forward with the smartwater scheme as there was a very disappointing response from all 3 parishes. All cllrs agreed with this. BW asked if there was any interest in setting up a Neighbourhood Watch – he will contact PCSO Geordie Boswell to find out more.
Action: Clerk to forward her e mail address to him.

ii) Planning for the future paper: The Chair passed thanks to every one for the great work that they had done on this.

14. NDP: The Chair told the meeting that there is a working party next week (25th Nov) meeting with Sam Banks and her team at Hereford Council. It will be RB, KH and others were asked to join the NDP group going forward. JH put herself forward, and JB will try and be there Keith Merrick also volunteered his support at the meeting.
Action: RB to get JH, JB and KM added to the access list for this zoom meeting.

15. War Memorial: JBa had a site meeting with KH and MK to be a task force to try and get some thing done about the condition of it. As a grade 2 listed building, the Memorial needs building consent before they can get any work done on it. He will then need to get some one from Historic England to come out and ok the work to be done.
He asked for approval to get the survey done on the building as a first step, at approx. £450. Proposed: JBa Seconded:BW
All were in favour.
Action: JBa to engage a surveyor to look at the War Memorial.

JH asked who owned the War Memorial? JBa, no one knows – it seemed like the village needs to adopt it. JH asked if we had permission to spend money on something that we don’t own? JBa will check with the British Legion to see if they have any further knowledge of the ownership of the memorial.

16. To note contents of the information sheet, and take any comments from that. None were forthcoming.

17. Matters Financial.

a. Balances
Public Sector Deposit Fund (31.10.20)     £ 11,549.73
Lloyds Parish Acct (07.11.20)                     £ 30,159.06
Lloyds Withington Field Acct (07.10.20) £    5,571.21               Total:  £47,280
b. Cheques to be paid
Parish Acct:-
Clerks Salary                                       £ 1,235.39
Clerks Expenses                                      £ 57.08                                  £1,292.47
PAYE £ 151.93
Countrywide inv Church grass Sept   £ 91.20
Countrywide inv graves grass Sept     £ 66.00
Countrywide inv Church grass Oct     £ 91.20
Countrywide inv graves grass Oct       £ 66.00                                     £314.40
T Griffiths roads work September    £ 398.40
T Griffiths roads work Sept                  £ 39.00
T Griffiths PROW                                 £ 186.00
T Griffiths roads work Oct                 £    21.00                                    £644.40
Zurich Municipal insurance                                                                  £ 894.26
PKF (external auditors)                                                                         £ 240.00
Halc Training x2 G Chadd                                                                    £ 420.00
Total Parish Cheques                     £3,957.46
Withington Field Acct:-
Shelly O’Sullivan                                                                                      £ 80.00
Countrywide Sept                                £ 156.00
Countrywide Oct                                 £ 156.00                                    £312.00
T Griffiths wf H&S checks Sept       £   50.40
T Griffiths wf putting up covid signs £ 102.00
T Griffiths wf H&S checks Oct        £ 50.40
T Griffiths equpt repairs                  £ 210.00
T Griffiths Ditch clearance              £ 720.00
T Griffiths disinfecting play area    £ 150.00
T Griffiths burying electricity cable £ 420.00
T Griffiths Fence repairs                  £ 204.00                                  £1,906.80
Dave Smith                                                                                            £   300.00
WF MUGA electricity                                                                          £     49.40
Total WF cheques                               £2,648.20

Total cheques:                                 £6,605.66

It was moved that all cheques should be paid.

Proposed: Seconded:

c. Receipts: Keeping connected grant (for zoom membership) £71.94

d. Application for Financial Aid, None

e. Precept setting discussion: Due to the lateness of the meeting, it was proposed by the chair that this was moved to two weeks time on Tuesday 1st December at 7.30pm. This was seconded by KH and all present were in agreement.

18. Receive items for the next agenda (no discussion)

19. Agreed time and date of next full pc meeting: 7.30pm on 21st January 2020.
Precept setting meeting: 1st December at 7.30pm.

The meeting closed at 9.50pm

Signed: _________________________ Date: _________________

Dates for 2021 meetings:

2021 21st January 7.30 pm start
18th March 7.30 pm start
20th May 7pm start
15th July 7.30pm start
16th Sept 7.30 pm start
18th Nov 7.30 pm start